What is Keryx in Community?
Keryx in Community is a lay-led(1), non-profit(2), non-denominational(3), Christian-based(4) ministry to the public using the Cursillo method(5).
What does all of that mean?
- Our ministry weekends are led by Christians from the pews, not the ones from behind the pulpit
- All proceeds to this ministry are put directly into facilitating the events
- no one involved in this ministry is paid for doing so
- We are not affiliated with any specific Christian denomination
- Our volunteers come from many denominations to focus on the main thing: Christ Jesus and the relationship He wants with each of us
- In so being, our ministry may also be seen as ‘multi-denominational’ and/or ‘Ecumenical’ [tending toward Christian unity or cooperation]
- We hold to the following Statements of Faith:
- We believe the Bible to be the inspired, only, infallible, authoritative Word of God
- We believe that there is one God, eternally existent in three persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit
- We believe in the deity of our Lord Jesus Christ, in His virgin birth, in His sinless life, in His miracles, in His vicarious and completely atoning death through His shed blood, in His bodily resurrection, in His ascension to the right hand of the Father, and in His personal return in power and glory
- We believe in the forgiveness of sin, the resurrection of the body and the life everlasting
- We believe in the spiritual unity of believers in our Lord Jesus Christ
- Like Cursillo, Keryx is a short-course in christianity that includes: prayer, fellowship, teaching and song
Why the name, ‘Keryx’…
Paul disdained all unworthy tactics. Instead, in 2 Corinthians 4:2 he states positively that he preaches “by manifestation of the truth commending ourselves to every man’s conscience in the sight of God.” Paul preached clearly, openly, and honestly even when discouraging circumstances tempted him to get fast results. The result of his ministry was that “every man’s conscience”–whether saved or unsaved–commended him for his honesty, and more importantly, so did God.
In a ministry of light, there is no room for darkness. Paul reminds us that a dark, demonic veil blinds unbelievers (v 3-4). It is penetrated only by “the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ.” Dark motives and methods cannot penetrate or disperse the darkness. That is why Paul says “we do not preach ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord” (v 5). His preaching did not call attention to himself, like the “super apostles” who were subverting his reputation in 2 Corinthians (11:5). He lifted up Jesus Christ as the One who died for sins, rose from the dead, and now reigns as Lord.
It is significant that Paul uses the word kerysse for “preach.” In the ancient world, one who proclaimed in this sense was called a keryx, or “herald.” A herald was someone sent by his master to proclaim in public the master’s message. He dared not change the announcement because it was not his own. His responsibility was only to proclaim it accurately. That is how Paul understood his Gospel ministry. He was merely a servant proclaiming his Master’s Good News. The herald should be lost in his message. Only the Gospel of light dispels darkness and brings new life. That’s how Paul was saved, and that’s how we are saved.
Current Weekend Hosts
- First Congregational Church
- Lakefield Baptist Church
- Prayer & Praise Assembly of God
- St Thomas Lutheran Church
- Strong’s Community Bible Church
Previous Weekend Hosts
- Stuttsmanville chapel in Harbor Springs, MI
- Lighthouse Missionary Church in East Jordan, MI
- Pleasant Valley Free Methodist Church in East Jordan, MI
- Charlevoix United Methodist Church in Charlevoix, MI
- St. Thomas Lutheran Church ELCA in Cheboygan, MI
- Knights of Columbus Council 791 in Cheboygan, MI
- Lakefield Baptist Church in McMillan, MI
- First Congregational Church of Traverse City, MI
Frequently Asked Questions
Have questions about Keryx weekends?
Look here for answers to the most frequently asked questions.
If you don’t see the answer to what you are looking for, submit it and we will get it answered as quickly as we can!